In the Shade of Jacaranda: Sketching Workshops in Guanajuato and San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
with Rita Sabler
March 22-29, 2020 (8 days, 7 nights)
Join us for an 8 day sketching workshops in the beautiful Mexican cities of Guanajuato and San Miguel de Allende led by an experienced instructor and a Spanish fluent sketcher Rita Sabler. If your idea of great travel includes drawing while surrounded by amazing scenery, enjoying great food, experiencing local culture, learning new skills, and taking your time to savor sights and sounds, this trip is for you. The workshop is limited to 10 sketchers. Non-sketching partners are welcome.
Guanajuato is a small university town known for its fantastic colonial architecture, vibrant colors, and lively narrow streets frequented by singers and live music. Despite its small size, Guanajuato is full of architectural and cultural treasures. An historic silver mining town, these days it primarily attracts students, artists, and poets. Packed with colorful houses cascading down hill, beautiful vegetation, and friendly people, this little gem is a true sketcher’s paradise. Additionally, early spring is marked by magical purple glow of Jacaranda trees adding to a color palette already bursting with hues.
We will start our day with a delicious breakfast followed by a workshop on a beautiful terrace overlooking the city. After lunch and a brief siesta, we will venture to amazing locations for a guided sketching session. There will also be a day spent on learning print making in the oasis like setting of a private studio. To finish the trip, we will venture to another gem of a city–San Miguel de Allende, situated about one hour drive from Guanajuato.
- Five Urban Sketching workshops (3 hours each)
- Guided Sketching sessions
- Print making workshop
- Plenty of time and opportunity to learn and practice urban sketching coached by an experienced instructor
- Two amazing cities
- Draw in the authentic ceramic studio
- Learn to draw architecture, people at work, musicians, and more
- Opportunity to join callejoneadas–singing parties with live music, explore underground tunnels, catch one of many live performances put out every day, visit museums and beautiful parks, bike, hike, and bird.
A full itinerary and workshops topics are available on request.
1. Learn and perfect the art of sketching on location;
2. Watercolor techniques
3. Compositional tricks
4. Drawing architecture using rules of perspective
5. Capturing sense of place when time is limited
6. Drawing people at work
7. Capturing busy public spaces
Early bird price (before Nov 1, 2019) $1,195
Regular price (after Nov 1, 2019) $1,395
(includes the non-refundable deposit of $500 to be paid upon registration)
What’s Included in the price
- The cost of all workshops and guided sketching sessions
- 6 Nights of Accommodations in Guanajuato (based on shared room)
- All breakfasts in Guanajuato
- Welcome dinner and drinks
- Two Lunches
- Print making supplies
- Private transfer from the airport to the hotel in Guanajuato
- Private transfer to the hotel in San Miguel de Allende
- Language and logistical help
- Airfare (book flights to Guanajuato International Airport, BJX)
- Accommodation in San Miguel de Allende (one night, March 28)
- Meals unless specified above
- Admission fee to attractions
- Transportation unless specified above
- Sketching supplies. We recommend purchasing this handy sketcher's toolkit to bring along on your trip
- Travel insurance Travelex (highly recommended)
First 6 nights we will be staying in a centrally located Bed and Breakfast featuring a beautiful terrace and designated workshop space in Guanajuato. Despite being in the city center the hotel is quiet, and we will have the entire place to ourselves. The fantastic English speaking host will be there to provide any help or advice.
The last night we will be staying in San Miguel de Allende at a Bed and Breakfast called Casa de La Noche. Book your own room for March 28, 2020 by calling Barbara at 1 (831) 373 8888 and mentioning "sketching workshop". Feel free to find your own accommodation for March 28 or extend your stay after the workshop is officially over.
Excited and ready to go? We are ready to have you on board. Now you just need to fill out the form to REGISTER and select your preferences. The non-refundable deposit of $500 holds your spot. The remaining balance is due no later than January 1, 2020. Payments could be made
1. by check (Rita Sabler 1001 SE Water Ave. Suite 210, Portland, OR 97214),
2. by Cash App https://cash.me/$RitaSabler
3. or Venmo @Rita-Sabler
1. Send your $500 deposit ASAP to secure registration.
2. Read and sign a general liability waiver (will be sent to you by the organizers)
3. Book your flights to arrive on March 22, 2020
4. Reserve your room in San Miguel de Allende for March 28
5. Send your full payment by January 1, 2020
6. Purchase travel insurance
7. Get ready for this exciting urban sketching adventure!
Feel free to email with any questions about the trip's program or logistics to firstname.lastname@example.org
The participant may cancel the reservation at any time. Cancellations need to be made in writing and are effective once confirmed by the organizers. In the event of cancellation, the deposit WILL NOT be reimbursed. Cancellation made less than 45 days prior to the start of the course will result in the deposit and full course fee to be forfeited.